Code of Practice

Code of Practice.

ABC COLLEGE OF ENGLISH is a signatory to the Education Code (pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) of Practice 2021 administered by New Zealand Qualifications Authority. ABC takes our commitment to the code seriously and encourages our students to understand the key outcomes and to ensure we are best working to support their success. The Code for learner wellbeing and safety sets out the roles and responsibilities of education organisations in promoting and supporting your wellbeing, development and educational achievement.

Under the Code, we should be helping you to be:

  • safe, physically, and mentally
  • respected and accepted for who you are.
  • supported in your learning and wellbeing.
  • connected with your social and cultural networks and
  • able to have your say in decisions about services.


IT IS IMPORTANT YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THE CODE MEANS FOR YOU AS A STUDENT. To assist you with this, you can find out more about how we work to successfully implement the Code HERE.


Copies of the Code are available on request from this institution or from the New Zealand Qualifications Authority website at : with a link to the English version being found at the bottom of the page.

Under the Code ABC is not able to enrol students under the age of 18.

Immigration: A student visa/permit is required if you plan to study for a period of 3 months or more. Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at :

Eligibility for Health Services: Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of the treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at :

Accident Insurance: The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at :

Medical and Travel Insurance: International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand.

Driving in New Zealand: If you have a current overseas driver’s licence or a current international driving permit, you can drive for one year after you first arrive in New Zealand. If you do not have an overseas driver’s licence or an international driving permit you cannot drive. You must apply for a New Zealand driver’s licence.

An international driving permit is an internationally recognised translation of your current driver licence. It is not a driver licence in its own right, and must be accompanied by your driver’s licence when you drive. You can only drive the types of vehicles covered by your overseas driver’s licence or international driving permit.

For more information, please visit

ABC Code of Conduct

ABC Code-of-Conduct: The college has a student code of conduct as a guideline from which student can set behavioral and academic expectations. To find out more about this code of conduct please click here

Code of Practice – English

Full, legislative version – English

“I believe that for studying English, here, ABC College of English is the best environment in New Zealand”
Taichi, Japan